Psalm 139

 


Psalm 139 is in the last set of those attributed to David (138-145).  It is also one of the Imprecatory Psalms (7, 35, 55, 58, 59, 69, 79, 109, 137, 139), mainly because of verses 19-22. Since this psalm highlights God's omniscience and omnipresence, it can be comforting for the righteous but dreadful for the wicked.

Following are some reflections that may be beneficial to consider when meditating on this psalm:
  • Verses 1-6
    • How do I feel about God knowing everything about me, including all my thoughts, actions, and words?
  • Verses 7-12
    • What do these verses teach me about God's presence?
  • Verses 13-16
    • What is my response to knowing that "I am fearfully and wonderfully made" (v. 14) and that in God's "book were written ... the days that were formed for me" (v. 16)?
  • Verses 17-24
    • When God searches my heart, what does He find?

If you would like to meditate on this psalm through music as well, following is a link to a YouTube video:
  • "Hold Me Fast" (Psalm 139) by Aaron Shust:  Link


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 149

Psalm 120

Psalm 142