Psalm 109

 


Psalm 109 is one of the Imprecatory Psalms (7, 35, 55, 58, 59, 69, 83, 109, 137, 139).  David is praying for God's judgment against his accusers who have returned to him evil for good.  He seeks God's help on behalf of His Name's sake and according to His steadfast love.

Following are some reflections that may be beneficial to consider when meditating on this psalm:
  • Verses 1-5
    • Why is it beneficial to follow David's example and "give myself to prayer" (v. 4) when faced with wicked, deceitful, and lying tongues?
  • Verses 6-20
    • While these imprecatory verses use strong language, they are not malicious vindictive ravings against accusers but rather prayers for God to carry out justice according to the Law (e.g., Deuteronomy 19:16-21).  How might this help me to better understand imprecatory prayers?
    • Acts 1:20 quotes verse 8 in reference to Judas, demonstrating that Jesus, though He was perfect, still had accusers even among his closest disciples.  What does this show me?
  • Verses 21-29
    • When the attacks of others wound my heart deeply, how might David's prayerful perspective be helpful?
  • Verses 30-31
    • What is my response when I remember that Jesus is my Advocate standing at my right hand to save me from the condemnations of Satan the Accuser?


If you would like to meditate on this psalm through music as well, following is a link to a YouTube video:
  • "Psalm 109" by Genesis The Church Worship Band:  Link


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 149

Psalm 120

Psalm 142