Psalm 61

 


C.H. Spurgeon says of Psalm 61, "This Psalm is a pearl. It is little, but precious."  As David cries out to God "from the end of the earth," whether he is far away geographically or feels distanced spiritually, he is still confident that God is his rock, refuge, and strong tower.  To help him through present circumstances, he gains encouragement by looking to what God has done in the past and what He will do in the future.  So, he ends his prayer by closing with praise!

Following are some reflections that may be beneficial to consider when meditating on this psalm:
  • Verses 1-2
    • When are times my heart has been overwhelmed, faint, without strength, troubled, in despair, or heavy?  What should I do during these times?
    • What does the phrase "that is higher than I" add to the image of God as my rock?
  • Verses 3-7
    • David looks at his past in verses 3 & 5 and to the future in verses 4 & 6-7.  What do I know about God from the past and in the future that can help me in the present?
    • "Under the shelter of your wings" can be an analogy to a bird protecting her young under her wings.  With the tabernacle reference, the phrase can also refer to the wings on the Ark of the Covenant.  Since the Ark represents God's throne and His presence among His people, how does this image also bring me comfort at times when I need refuge?
  • Verse 8
    • Performing "vows day after day" refers to daily offerings to the LORD.  What can I offer to God daily?


If you would like to meditate on this psalm through music as well, following is a link to a YouTube video:
  • "Hear My Cry" by the Maranatha! Singers: Link


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 149

Psalm 120

Psalm 142