Psalm 40

 


In Psalm 40, David begins by giving thanks and praising God for His innumerable "wondrous deeds," which include hearing his prayers and delivering him from the pit.  Psalm 40:6-8 is quoted in Hebrews 10:5-7, referring to Christ's sacrifice once for all.  We are to praise God and share the good news of deliverance, so that "many will see and fear, and put their trust in the LORD" (vs 3b)  and all who seek the LORD will rejoice and be glad, saying continually "Great is the LORD!" (vs 16).

Following are some reflections that may be beneficial to consider when meditating on this psalm:
  • Verses 1-3
    • What can help me to be more PATIENT when waiting for the LORD to answer my prayers?
    • How might the image in verse 2 of being lifted from the pit and muddy clay to be set on solid rock give me encouragement when I feel like I have fallen into a pit or am floundering?
    • In verse 3, what are some benefits of taking time to give praise to God for every "new" thing He does in my life?
  • Verses 4-5
    • How might I experience more of God's blessings in my life?
    • David said that when he proclaims the LORD's wondrous deeds, they are "more than can be told."  What are some of the greatest blessings in my life that I can recount?
  • Verses 6-8
    • Read Hebrews 10:1-9, the New Testament passage which includes Psalm 40:6-8.  What insight does this give me into why God does not require sacrifice and offering, but desires that we delight to do His will?
  • Verses 9-17
    • Take time to give God praise and thanksgiving, particularly for His salvation and deliverance.

If you would like to meditate on this psalm through music as well, following is a link to a YouTube video:
  • "Psalm 40" by the Psalm Project Africa:  Link


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 149

Psalm 120

Psalm 142