Psalm 37

 


Psalm 37 is a wisdom psalm, carrying the theme of the righteous versus the wicked.  It is generally arranged in an acrostic using the letters of the Hebrew alphabet at the beginning of each sentence.  King David is older as he writes this psalm (vs 25), and he uses proverbs to teach wisdom based on his observations and experiences.  Rather than fret or be envious because of evildoers, the righteous can trust in the LORD, delight in the LORD, commit their way to the LORD, and be still before the LORD.  Ultimately, the wicked will be cut off and perish, but the LORD is a refuge and stronghold for the righteous in time of trouble.

Following are some reflections that may be beneficial to consider when meditating on this psalm:
  • Verses 1-2
    • To fret is to worry, become vexed, or get all worked up.  Why do I NOT need to fret or be envious?
  • Verses 3-7
    • Rather than worry or envy, what do these verses say I should do instead?
    • As I am trusting in the LORD (vs 3), what else should I be doing?
    • To delight in the LORD (vs 4) means to seek joy, satisfaction, and pleasure in God alone.  How would this affect "the desires of [my] heart?"
    • To commit our way to the LORD (vs 5) is to "roll" our burdens away and entrust them into His care.  What burdens do I need to entrust into His care?
    • To be still (vs 7) is to rest in silence.  In which areas of my life do I need to wait patiently for God?
  • Verses 8-40
    • What do these verses say about the wicked in contrast to the righteous? 
    • How closely am I walking in righteousness?
    • David often says "inherit the land" (vs 9, 11, 21, 29, 34), referring to the Promise of God.  In Matthew 5:5, Jesus says "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."   How is this promise of our hope of glory as joint heirs with the LORD comforting?
    • David is sharing the wisdom he has gained through personal experiences (vs 25).  What wisdom would I impart to others based on what I have learned as I look back on my life?

If you would like to meditate on this psalm through music as well, following is a link to a YouTube video:
  • "Delight Yourself in the Lord" (Psalm 37) by The Psalms Project:  Link 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 149

Psalm 120

Psalm 142