Psalm 23

 

Psalm 23 is one of the most well-known and beloved psalms.  Having been a shepherd himself, David describes the LORD's provision, refreshing care, guidance, restoration, protection, and comfort for His sheep (verses 1-4).  Then, David describes the LORD as a Host who provides security in the presence of enemies, and blesses abundantly with goodness and lovingkindness (verses 5-6).  The psalm closes with the joyous hope that we will be able to "dwell in the house of the LORD forever."  Amen!

Following are some reflections that may be beneficial to consider when meditating on this psalm:

  • Verses 1-3:
    • Reflect on each word in the first phrase:  "The", "LORD", "is", "my", "shepherd".  
      • For example, "my" reminds me that not only is He the Good Shepherd for all the people of God, He is "my" LORD, so that I can have a personal relationship with Him
    • What do each of the phrases in these verses illustrate to me as His sheep?
      • "I shall not want
        • NOTE:  "Not want" is to not be lacking in anything I need
      • "He makes me lie down in green pastures"  
        • NOTE: Not just to find nourishment in green pastures; but to actually "lie down" and rest
      • "He leads me beside still waters
        • NOTE:  Waters are "still," not rushing waters that are dangerous to drink in
      • "He restores my soul"   
        • NOTE:  This may refer to both salvation and repentance as well
      • "He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake
        • NOTE:  Not crooked paths, so that we can be a reflection of our Holy God
  • Verse 4:
    •  How does this verse bring comfort in the midst of any dark valleys I might be walking through?  
      • NOTE:  A shepherd's rod and staff were used for both protection against attacking animals, as well as for guidance in the right direction
  • Verse 5-6: 
    • What do these verses illustrate to me as a guest in His house?  
      • NOTE:  Anointing with oil is a sign of blessing; and it was also common practice for a host to anoint honored guests with perfumed oil

If you would like to meditate on this psalm through music as well, following is a link to a YouTube video:

  • "The Lord's My Shepherd" (Psalm 23) by the Choir of Winchester Cathedral:  Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 149

Psalm 120

Psalm 142