Psalm 143

 


Psalm 143 is in the last set of those attributed to David (138-145). It is also a Penitential Psalm (Psalm 6, 32, 38, 51, 102, 130, & 143).  As David prays to the LORD, he recognizes his own unrighteousness.  Yet, he appeals to God's faithfulness, righteousness, and steadfast love for deliverance from his enemies and preservation of his life. 

Following are some reflections that may be beneficial to consider when meditating on this psalm:
  • Verses 1-2
    • In these verses, we are reminded that the LORD answers our prayers not because of our own righteousness but because of His faithfulness and righteousness.  How might this reminder affect how we approach God in prayer?
  • Verses 3-6
    • When we feel crushed, dark, faint, or appalled, how can remembering God's faithfulness be like water fo a thirsty soul?
  • Verses 7-12
    • There are many prayers in these verses (e.g., "answer me quickly," "hide not your face," "let me hear," "show me the way," "deliver me," "teach me," "lead me," "preserve my life," "bring my soul out of trouble," "cut off my enemies," and "destroy all the adversaries of my soul").  Which of these most reflect my own prayers at this time of my life?

If you would like to meditate on this psalm through music as well, following is a link to a YouTube video:
  • "All That You Have Done" (Psalm 143) by Grace Hill Music:  Link


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 149

Psalm 120

Psalm 142