Psalm 118:1-18

 



Psalm 118 is the last in the Egyptian Hallel series (113-118), so it may be the hymn Jesus and His disciples finished singing as mentioned in Matthew 26:30 or Mark 14:26. This psalm begins with a call to give thanks (vv. 1-4).  It continues with individual thanksgiving for deliverance out of distress (vv. 5-18). The last part includes community thanksgiving with references to the temple gates, stones, and altar (vv. 19-27). This psalm then closes like it begins, by giving thanks to God (vv. 28-29).

Following are some reflections that may be beneficial to consider when meditating on this psalm:

  • Verses 1-4
    • In these verses, Israel, the Levites, and those who fear the LORD are called, as in Psalm 115:9-13. Why does being reminded that "His steadfast love endures forever" inspire me to give thanks?
  • Verses 5-13
    • In what ways do the repeated phrases in these verses give me assurance (e.g., "The LORD is on my side," "It is better to take refuge in the LORD," "They surrounded me ... in the name of the LORD I cut them off!")
  • Verses 14-18
    • What does it mean for God to be my strength, my song, and my salvation

If you would like to meditate on this psalm through music as well, following is a link to a YouTube video:

  • "Give Thanks to the Lord For He is Good" (Psalm 118) by Francesca LaRosa: Link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 149

Psalm 120

Psalm 142