Psalm 35

 


Psalm 35 is one of the Imprecatory Psalms (7, 35, 55, 58, 59, 69, 79, 109, 137, 139), praying for God's judgment and justice.  The psalm begins with David asking God to be his advocate against accusers and to be his deliverer against attacks from enemies.  Judgment against the wicked is a common theme in wisdom literature, reminding us of God's ultimate justice.  Our appropriate response is to rejoice and to praise the LORD.

Following are some reflections that may be beneficial to consider when meditating on this psalm:

  • Verses 1-3
    • In verse 1, contend, plead, argue or strive are legal terms.  What does it mean for me that Jesus is my Advocate against Satan the Accuser in a court where God is Judge?
    • These verses pray for God not only to defend (i.e. "take hold of shield and buckler") but also to take the offensive (i.e. "draw the spear and javelin").  What battles am I fighting in which I need to remember that I don't have to fight them alone?
  • Verses 4-28
    • How is it helpful to be reminded that ultimately God will judge; and that justice will prevail?
    • David often refers to his "soul" and "bones" (vv. 3, 9, 10, & 12).  What does this show me about how deeply the attacks of the Enemy can affect me? 
    • Which of these verses stand out to me personally, based on what I am going through at this time of my life?
    • Take time now to pray and to give praise in response to the LORD's salvation, deliverance, and righteousness.

If you would like to meditate on this psalm through music as well, following is a link to a YouTube video:

  • "Awake, O Lord" (Psalm 35) by The Psalms Project:  Link   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 149

Psalm 120

Psalm 142