Psalm 4


 

Psalm 4 is another wonderful psalm of trust in God.  Some think that this is connected to Psalm 3, because of the similar references to "glory" or "honor" (verses 3:3 & 4:2) and sleeping in peace (verses 3:5 & 4:8).  However, whether or not these are about the same circumstances, David starts in both by crying out to God about his distress; but by the end of his prayers, he closes with peace and trust in the LORD.  In the middle of Psalm 3 (verse 2-6a), David addresses his enemies; and encourages them to not sin, to restore a right relationship with God through offering sacrifices, to put their trust in the LORD, and to not doubt God's goodness.  David prays that God would lift up the light of His countenance upon them, and rejoices in God's favor and blessing!

Following are some reflections that may be beneficial to consider when meditating on this psalm:

  • Verse 1
    • How does knowing that God is the "God of my righteousness", and remembering His faithfulness in the past, help us in our prayers for whatever current distresses we are facing now?
  • Verses 2-5
    • Based on David's example in this psalm, how should the godly respond when their honor is attacked through lies?
    • As I ponder silently in my own heart, what is the Holy Spirit revealing to me about my relationship with the LORD and my obedience to Him?
  • Verses 6-8
    • Where does my joy and peace come from?
    • In what ways can prayer help change my attitudes and perspectives?
    • Take some time to give God praise and thanksgiving, such as for His favor, blessings, joy, peace, and protection.

Comments

Anonymous said…
S Sets apart Godly men for Himself
A Answers when I call
F For God alone makes me dwell in
safety.
E Enjoy the gladness He has given
me.
T Trust in the Lord, is what God
wants from us.
Y You, O God, have relieved me in my
distress.

Though troubles were surrounding David in Psalm 4 and us in 2020, we can find safety, security, peace, and rest in God now and forever, by living out this song.
Grace said…
Yes, whatever troubles we may face, we can always trust in God! Amen

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 149

Psalm 120

Psalm 142